Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A season of change

I've moved!  I'm back in Sendai as of a couple of weeks ago, and it feels great to be home!  It felt like leaving home, too, though, after having been in Saitama and Tokyo for two years.

This time around I live in Izumi, which is north of the areas of Sendai I'm most familiar with.  I've been settling in nicely, though, staying with wonderful friends.  I've been friends with Emiko from the time I was an intern my first year in Japan and she and Nick have been generously blessing me with their time and effort as I move into an apartment we recently found.



This is Satoru, Nick and Emiko's little boy.  He's two, and the best little buddy a girl could ask for.  Here's a little taste of our daily banter:

Me: "What's my name?"
Satoru: "Pi pi!" (Yes, pronounced 'pee pee' which does not have quite the same meaning in Japanese.  However, I did try and get him to fix his pronunciation none the less...)
Me: "Say de de de."
Satoru: "De de de!"
Me: "Say bi bi bi."
Satoru: "Bi bi bi!"
Me: "De, Bi!"
Satoru: "De Bi!"
Me: What's my name?"
Satoru: "Pi pi!!!"

It's not the nickname I would have chosen for myself, but he came up with it just for me, and I love it!

I've gotten to catch up with Akiko at her temporary housing development since I'm been here.  Here are a couple of pictures of the Summer festival they've just had.


Tanabata decorations


Well-known local singers

I was pleasantly surprised to see the paintings on the sides of some of the units coming along nicely:




Some how, the bright colors seem to lift the place up in a way.  People are making this place their special home.  How encouraging it is to see expressions of resilience from a group of people that have been through so much hurt and pain.  They live in little temporary houses, but their gardens, paintings, pottery, singing, their souls are beautiful!


No comments: